Wednesday, January 14, 2009

hahahaha

I saw a bit on Fox News about the 2 breeds the Obama's are considering. Irish Water Dogs and Labradoodles.

I think that Ted Kennedy has Irish Water Dogs. I don't know why I think this is so funny, but I just do.

The lady with the Labradoodle said they can be stuborn and hard to train. See? That'd make me stop right there and think hard.

The dog I saw was lovely, high-charged and energetic. I guess that Obama said he was a big, rowdy dog. Big, rowdy dogs chronically knock little kids down. Just cause they're rowdy, not because they're bad.

The girls won't be able to manage a dog like that, not even to walk one. Dogs are very strong and children aren't.

The dog is supposed to be for the girls and we're back to a successful match. They'll love whatever dog comes home to them, but might be very frustrated with a dog they can't handle.

Also, stubborn dogs take more effort and work and to be successful, the whole family needs to be on the same page for interacting and training and stuff.

It's not impossible by any means, but makes the situtation more difficult.

Viewers picked the Labradoodle, of course. Flash. People need to pick animals by appropriate temperment, not looks as we often do. It is an extention of ego, but not the best mode of selection in most cases.

When the show asked viewers to pick on of the two dogs, I couldn't. I always pick all.

For me, however, I don't pick either especially. I've always leaned towards larger working breeds with a developing fondness for small lap dogs of different varieties.

But within my personal interests it's important to take several other things into consideration.

Health, both mine and the breed's. Level of activity, again, mine and the dog's. Living circumstances and available time. Cost. Grooming.

Beradette Peters was on Rachel Ray and they were talking about shelter dogs and pit bulls and a genetic test for mixed breeds. This helps people know what kind of medical problems the dogs might have since all breeds seem to have built-in medical conditions.

Pit bulls are a terrific family dog. They are among the most devoted to family animals I've ever known. They are known to be dog agressive, not people agressive, since it was built in to the breed, but also can be successfully socialized. Any dog can be abused or trained into attacking people. And love their families at the same time.

People are afraid of them because of the stories we hear. But human attacks happen with German Shepards, Rottweillers (one of my personal choices), Dobermans and tiny Tea Cup Poodles. It's always human error of one sort or another. Training or abuse. And stupid breeding.

No comments: