Monday, January 19, 2009

hahahaha

It's just true. We think that what suits us suits everyone. And it doesn't. The Obama Girl has a Yorkie and thinks the Obamas should get on cause they're great dogs. They are. All dogs are great dogs. But Obama wants a big, rowdy dog. Yorkies are kinda on the smaller than that size. I don't want a hunting dog breed simply because I've no interest in hunting. I do have an interest in herding even though I have nothing other than the cat to herd. I would get a herding dog if I were able to get involved with herding, there are places to do that without it being a personal job. But if I had kids, or was a runner, or distance rider with horses, I'd definately look that way. Dalmations and some of the hunting dogs are great running and distant companions.

I'd also be interested in cart work. Several large working/herding dogs are also adaptapble for that activity.

A Standard Poodle really fits Obama's requirements as long as his daughter doesn't react to the breed with her allergies. I really like the herders, though, and I've no real explination for it other than it just appeals to me. It's an emotional thing, which is fine, but it's helpful to be informed on the dog types specifically to make the best choices within that interest.

I don't know anything about Irish Water Dogs, they may be perfect for the Obama's, too. For them, it's about temperment, just like it is for everyone. Standard Poodles have the allergy thing plus the good family temperment thing, and are very smart and fairly easy to train. Stubborn dogs are hell to train, and add agressiveness to that and you really need specialized handling and training and constant, life-long reinforcement to keep their behaivor in line.

I just like herding dogs. The working breeds best. For me personally to live with. But now, with my current circumstances, I'd get a lap dog. And yes, Yorkies are great dogs, but I'm not that interested in owning one personally. A mixed breed would suit me just as well as anything. If I was going to pick a lap breed, I'd look at pugs, Lasa Aphsos, King Charles Spaniels and probably several others I can't think of. But what I'd really do today is go the pound and get somebody's reject whatever kind, or kinds, it happens to be. Tomorrow could be a different story.

No comments: