Saturday, January 17, 2009

These days?

I'd pick a dog along the lines of a King Charles Spaniel. Sweet, even tempered, agreeable type of dog. Any breed or mix, doesn't matter that much. That's what my circumstances today indicate.

And before anyone gets giggly about Georgette Heyer, read her. She invented the Regency Romance. I believe she wrote during the first half of the 20th century, 20's through the 50's maybe, I forget and yes, I could look up her dates. She's closer to Jane Austen than anyone else I know of. And while perhaps not literature, she's an intelligent writer, interesting and fun plots and characters. Very FUNNY, too. All fiction doesn't need to be literature to be valuable or worthwhile. And, uh, no sex. No, really. No sex. That's a later romance invention. They've used one of her novels in a military academy here because the description of one of the Napolean battles is so well done. It's one of them that I didn't read cause I don't like history so much. Or liked it less well then. Ya, well, I still don't want to read it. It might be The Spanish Bride or something. I think she wrote about 3 historicals and I read one, ending up disappointed. It's was about Bonnie Prince Charlie, I think. Or not. I was young. What can I say. Her mysteries are also a lot of fun and the murderers always an interesting surprise. I read them, and reread them 30 years ago, but think they'd likely still stand up. If people and their expectations haven't changed that much maybe. Does everything have to have sex in it to be worth the time for us these days? I don't know really.

No comments: