Sunday, June 1, 2008

Cyndi Lauper and ribs

I like Cyndi Lauper. She's on Private Sessions. She was told she can't sing, and she can't. Neither can Liza Minelli and I like her too. What they do so well is sell the song and have interesting, intreguing voices that please. They have what I don't see in people like Carrie Underwood. No depth or emotional range or honesty usually. Entertaining enough they are, just not sound.

Dad used to make a terrific ribs (pork probably) with sauerkraut and potatoes. It's been a lot of years since I had it, but I think he browned the ribs, added them with the kraut and potatoes and baked for awhile.

The potatoes have a wonder kraut flavor that I've always loved. I told the German woman of the Tartare event this, and she said, "Mashed" and looked scared kinda. Dad peeled and quartered baking potatoes. Really, really good. Probably added some onion, never used caraway seeds. See? Simple. Salt and pepper, I'm sure. Did he include the kraut liquid? Too many details I don't know to pass this off as a recipe. But I have make a kraut/cheese spread that's divine. I like kraut.

I also like calf's liver the way my mother made it. I don't like the onions she sauted for it, but the bacon's the bomb. Never beef liver here, she said it's too strong and showed no interest in chicken livers. As do I. Bread and fry briefly. The best. Think I probably had to develop a taste for it and that comes from experience.

But I'll never get used to arugula. Ever. I'd barf first. I'd rather barf than eat arugula.

No comments: