Monday, June 2, 2008

Osyter Stew

Dad used to make himself osyter stew with jared osyters for lunch once in a while. I always got a taste or two and found the osyters a strange chewing experience, but kinda good. I always looked forward to it, but didn't really want much of it. I've never cooked with osyters, although I've no objections to it.

Raw osyters really don't appeal. I'd try one to see, but know that I'd be happy with them. Rockefeller maybe. They're toped and baked aren't they? It's not something I think of to try at home. But they might be really good.

Stuffed Mushrooms

1 lb medium mushrooms (large for a side dish, small for snacks works too)
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can deviled ham (not the biggest and I think there's a tiny can - about 4 ozs or so?)
2 cups fresh bread crumbs, divided

****there's a misprint in the recipe. So it's either 1 cup divided, or 2 cups divided. I think I use 2, but adjust for preference

1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp back pepper
3 tbls butter, divided

Rinse, dry and stem mushrooms. Chop stems to equal 1/2 cup.

Combine cream cheese, deviled ham, 1 up bread crumbs, chopped stems, onion powder, and pepper.

Melt 2 tbls butter and brush on the on the cap tops (not the insides). Mound stuffing mixture in each cap.

Melt remaining 1 tbls butter and mix remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over mushrooms. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. ***I like the mushrooms doner, so cook up to 30 minutes.

Fresh bread crumbs for those unfamiliar - tear bread into pieces then grind in a blender. Orrigionally I used the tearing with a fork method and the other way is much better. I think it's about 1 slice per cup, but I could really be way off on that.

No comments: