Sunday, June 22, 2008

rambles

and a chronic complaint. History - how it's taught.

There's a small history blurb featuring David McCullough (master historian. I want to read his Adams book bad, but will probably settle for the DVD since I'm not reading much of anything anymore. That could change, she mutters hopefully?)

He answers about why history is important, but nothing about why kids don't learn it. It's taught boringly. He liked it, not many do.

All through to senior year in high school, we started with Puritans and never once got through WWII. After the westward expansion, and for parts of that, all it was was memorizing election details and those happen every 4 years. ENOUGH. NO MORE Monroe Doctrine which I don't remember what it is anymore.

The intro mentions that kids don't know the dates of the Civil War. I never knew till years after highschool. Numbers don't sink in with me readily, better now than then, but it's not easy for me to think with numbers past 9.

It ends in 1865, add those numbers and it's two, cross the bridge to 3 (the teeter totter) and the 3rd is more proof that the South won the war. There's lots of details here I won't go into, but to start with the feet, (horse allusion) my middle name is Lee and my brother's is Grant. You can figure it out and more info fills in more blanks, but American Saddle Bred horses are my latest find. The South won and continues to win. That's my theory and it works out somehow everytime. 1861 it begun...7, Biblical neutral number, personal meanings, nothing inparticular or even special that I can ever remember.

So use a world time line. What major events happened those years around the world. When did England outlaw slavery, for example. We get almost NO world history and the only history I'm interested in much is ENGLISH history which I've read on my own, developing through LITERATURE. And I don't know much there either, 1066 Battle of Hastings, William the Conqueror, the beginning of French as the official English language. around 440, Rome falls, leaving lots of LATIN in Britian. Vikings? Norse language parts everywhere. Anglo/Saxon/Jutes? GERMAN. English is a GERMANIC language with lots of LATIN and FRENCH also GREEK. Probably more stuff I don't remember.

TEACH LATIN FOR ENGLISH AND HISTORY for Christ's sake!!!!!

Guess what my major was.

That's all folks and yes I CAN'T SPELL or PUNCTUATE. Can I communicate? What counts? Depends on where you are.

No comments: