Monday, October 20, 2008

Aryan

An English word derived from Sanskrit meaning noble or honorable. The Persian equavalent is the word Ariya and has something to do with an ethnic self-designation of Proto-Indo Iranians, which I think has to do with the Proto-Indo languages. I got confused pretty quick. But it's very interesting. Especially the part about 4000 years of continuous civilization.

Maybe we should think of them as Persia to get the whole picture. When we know where people have been, maybe we can better understand who they are. Or maybe I just like Persia better than Iran. They probably know who they are.

I wish I had a map. I'm not sure where Arabia is, or ancient Arabia was and pictures don't work well on this system. Is anybody called Arabia anymore? Were they ever? lol, who am I and why am I here?

No comments: