Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is there an Arabia

Google has it that there's an Arabian Penensula. But what I was really thinking about with Persia was Arabian Nights, or One hundred and One Nights. Ali Baba, Scherizade, etc. Lovely, fun, mysterious stories that I grew up hearing about. Probably has nothing to do with Persia.

the map of the Arabian Penensual I saw isn't clear where it is. Any print on map images is never readable and this system can't make adjustments much so they're unusable anyway.

Was there a big battle with Persia and Greece? I am really dim on history, a few scattered memories. I really need a book. There's something with Sparta, but I may be thinking of a different battle.

But Persian carpets and Oriental rugs are a big deal. I like both those words and Oriental is politically incorrect mostly anymore. It's a pretty word. More magic and mystery connected to it. Ya, well, lets not dwell on what I don't know about Asian history.

And maybe I'll wake up here in a minute.

Oh, ya. The Moors. Beautiful tile and archechture in Spain. Did you know that the Arabs were using recongizable surgerical tools in the middle ages while Europe was using leeches? And aren't our numbers from the Arabian system? And wasn't it Venis who stopped the Muslim invasion in those days from spreading further north? See? Dim bits and pieces. They have the best horses, though, and that's a fact. Wayne Newton breeds/shows them in Las Vegas. That name took me 2 or 3 months to remember and I grew up seeing him on tv. See how I am?

No comments: