Monday, October 20, 2008

has anyone noticed

The congresswoman from, I think, Minnisota(sp), Marrilyn something (really wish I could remember names and spellings)?

She always has the same fixed smile on her face. She answers a question and reverts to that expression. It's very Stepford like. It's the oddest thing.

She's very right wing, I think. She said something about how interesting it would be to find out exactly who in Congress is pro-America. Does that remind anyone besides me of McCarthy?

And then there's Willa Cather. O, Pioneer! and My Antonia among other other novels. Excellent stuff. She wrote turn of the century northern mid-west pioneer/farming stories. Lovely writing. Don't skip this one.

Eudora Wealty? I think so. Southern, approxamately the same time as Willa Cather, give or take, I think. Yes. I know I could google it.

She wrote a short story that, apparently is popular to teach. It's all symbolism and junk. Completely uninterested me in further reading. Years later, I read one of her novels. Yes, I've forgotten the title, although it may be in one of my bookcases somewhere. It uses a blend of fairy tales to tell the story. Much, much better than the stream of symbols. For me, anyway. Another great Southerner. Check her out. Or not. It's up to you.

No comments: