Tuesday, July 22, 2008

guess I ought to blog

America's Got Talent's on tonight. Don't know how much I feel like blogging since I don't feel like blogging.

Tried the walnut/anchovie recipe. Pretty good, surprisingly. Need something more, though. Maybe I didn't add enough chili flakes. It's so simple, but I ususally don't have walnuts or anchovies on hand. Other ingredients? 2 tbls oil, 2 thin sliced garlic cloves and pasta water. It's so simple, it's almost a joke. But good enough to make again. Easy enough to have all ingredients on hand as long as the anchovies aren't opened for months at a time. Walnuts freeze great and last long frozen. Oh, ya. Some kind of spaghetti. I used linguini, but any shape would probably work ok. Even tubes.

I had 2 naps today. Shouldn't have any problem staying awake for the show tonight. And now for the real question: How much do I want to watch it or any other show?

I got no answer.

Saw NCIS. A repeat, I think, but I probably mised it the first time although I do know the on going story line. And I saw the last show, so I know who's dead at the end. Wonder why they killed her off? Lauren Holly. Just to shake it up? Did she want off the show? Don't know the answer to this as most other life questions.

Saw some good directions for pot roast in America's Test Kitchen. I really like those guys and their tv show and their books and their magazines. So why don't I cook more? Mostly cause I'm feeding one. But I just might do a version of their pot roast. Don't want to do the add wine, reduce sauce part. I was raised with gravy with the roast and potatoes and carrots cooked with it. The give a mention to that, so I've an idea how to go about it. Kinda interesting, but they say to cook it 3 1/2 to 4 hours at 300. After browning. Cook some chopped up carrots, onion, celery in it and strain those out, turn roast every 30 to 60 minutes, strain the solids for the last hour or so to cook the potatoes, carrots, onions to serve with the roast. Something like that. Use 1 cup each chicken and beef broth and add water to come half way up the sides of the roast, cover with foil and a lid, bring to a simmer on stove, then braise for the times given. I think they add some tomatoe paste, too. This is a lot better than the tomato kind which I don't like the sound of at all. Or the taste. I really want beef gravy with it. And that's what I'll have, by God!

No comments: