Thursday, July 17, 2008

More no blogs

Went to sleep early last night and missed the end of So..Dance.
The cut's tonight. I had a good nap so I'll probably stay awake for it tonight. Maybe.

Went grocery shopping. Got stuff for a crockpot recipe that I started at 3 so it'll be done about 11. Uh, I'll finish it off tomorrow. As long as I remember to turn it off before I fall asleep. I left a pan of water boiling and burned up another pan. I'm good for that.

I did eat out the other day. Got lots of gas with the card and took the 20 to the soul food place. Great greens. Excellent, in fact. The mac and cheese is good, different. Not so fond of the peach cobler. Has a flavor that stumped me. Don't mind the canned paches. I'm sorry. I like canned peaches. And fresh peaches. And appricots. And grapes and plums. And lots of stuff.

The recipe I used today has fish sauce. I've never used fish sauce before. What'll I do with the rest of the bottle? If I like the recipe, guess I'll keep making it. I've got more chicken for it. And garlic. And the other stuff which isn't a lot of anything.
This recipe is from A Year of Crockpotting. Thai chicken or something I forgot the name of it.

And I made the yogurt cream from Pioneer Woman. That won't be ready till tomorrow. Mix 1 1l2 cups each plain yogurt and whipping cream. Sprinkle 1/2 to 3/4 cups brown sugar on top. Don't mix in. Store several hours to overnight in fridge. Serve over fruit, or on granola I suppose. Whatever. I'm interested in trying it anyway. I got blue berries and boisenberries, I think. I forgot which kind of other berries. Not raspberries is all I know for sure.

AND I got the stuff for 2 tomato sauces. One is putanesca which I really like although I've only had the jarred varieties. This is from Casual Kitchen and doesn't have green olives, instead it uses capers with the black olives. The only time I remember using anchovies is at work, so this'll be fun to try. I don't mind anchovies. I don't go looking for them, but can eat them on pizza ok if they're there.

I forget what the other sauce is. I think it's the one that has chicken in it. Oh, I know. It's Casual Kitchen's mole chicken. I just know I had to get rice for the fish sauce thing and the mole thing.

I love trying new recipes although I do get frustrated when too many in a row don't go down well with me. What a waste of time and money when I could be eating peanut butter instead.

I have a rice cooker. Hope it still works cause as bad as I am at boiling water, I suck so much more at cooking rice. I got the cooker for 2 bucks at a yard sale. Haven't cooked rice for years. Don't like rice much although I don't find it offensive in any way. I used to especially like it at school lunches when they had beef cubes with gravy over the rice. I bet school lunches aren't that good anymore. I used to eat the canned spinach there too. I liked it. Vinegery and tasty. Even for this 10 year old. And I ate peas as a kid. I discovered mixing them in the mashed potatoes and they became nectar. My mother didn't like me doing that, but she shouldn't haved complained so much. I ate the stinking things. I love peas now. Be careful what you try to force kids to eat. Food tastes differently to kids than it does to adults. Although some foods fall into that never will be able to stand the crap catagory. Like zuccini. I don't even care how that word is spelt I hate it so much. And argula, of course. I can eat chicken livers even though I don't like them too much. I ate one snail once and never again. Unless it's chopped up. The one I had was a whole body. Delicious garlic/butter sauce just doesn't make up for the stinking chew factor of the whole body thing.

So I'm excited about cooking this week. I'll have so much food that I'll have to freeze parts of it in order to be able to stand eating any of it. I did make mole once a long time ago, but it used jared mole sauce. It was awful.

The recipes I've seen are much more involved than the one I'm trying tomorrow. But I don't care if it's totally authentic as long as it's tasty and something I can cook for myself and others maybe. If I ever do cook again. Even for me. I have to buy pots again. As usual.

I got packages of breasts and thighs, 10 each, which is a hard number to use. I used 5 of the thighs today. But I'm thinking I could use 3 of the breasts for the mole and if I like, I can make it 2 more times with one breast left over to just use in the last batch. Or something. I really don't know what to do.

About that or about anything.

No comments: